Fraser Valley Animal Hospital

2633 Ware Street
Abbotsford, BC V2S 3E2

(604)854-2313

www.fvah.ca

December - Common Toxins 

Check out our Monthly Newsletter

As a pet owner, you want to keep your furry friend safe and healthy, but your pet’s curious nature sometimes can get them into trouble. Animals investigate the world with their mouths just like toddlers and they can ingest poisonous substances accidentally. Awareness is key to helping keep your pet safe.




Plants toxic to pets

Plants found in flower beds, vegetable gardens, and indoor planters and arrangements can be toxic to pets. Cats, who particularly like to munch on greenery, are sensitive to many plant types, but dogs also can be at risk. The most common toxic plants include:

  • Autumn crocus
  • Azalea
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodils
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Hyacinth
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lily of the valley
  • Lilies
  • Oleander
  • Sago palm
  • Tulips


What foods are toxic to pets?

Many foods that are safe for people can be deadly to pets. Keep the following toxic foods away from your beloved companion:

  • Chocolate
  • Xylitol (often found in sugar-free gum)
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeinated drinks
  • Raw yeast dough
  • Raw or undercooked meat


Human prescription medications and pets

ADHD medications, antidepressants, and heart medications were most commonly ingested by pets, although your pet can suffer significant side effects from any human medication he eats. Keep all medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, safely stored inside a medicine cabinet or cupboard or up high where your pet can't reach them and ask your visitors to do the same.


What other household items are dangerous to my pet?

Products such as paint, glue, and cleaning chemicals often are left out on the assumption that pets won’t eat these bad-tasting substances. But sometimes pets lap up liquids because they feel good or have an interesting texture. Household products can contain dangerous chemicals and some household glues expand in the stomach, causing a life-threatening blockage.


Rodenticides/Insecticides and pets

Products designed to kill rodents are particularly dangerous to pets, who may be tempted to eat the tasty bricks, granules, or pellets left out for mice and rats. Rodenticides kill rodents by causing internal bleeding, high calcium levels, brain swelling, or toxic gas production. Never put rat bait out where your pet can find it and keep your pet confined to your yard to prevent him from eating your neighbors’ rodenticides.

Ant baits, bug sprays, and foggers can be poisonous to your pet. Read labels to ensure proper use of these products and prevent pets from exposure during and after use. Store all insecticides on high shelves out of a pet’s reach.



Click HERE to read about Dr. Sharon Bruce's personal experience.